Saturday, March 14, 2015

NAFW2015 Day 6: Fall 2015 Dress

Day six of Fashion Week is dedicated to Fall 2015 Runway dress. Basically, today’s goal is to highlight outfits from the most recent runways! With hundreds of fashion houses participating in the Fall 2015 Ready-To-Wear Runways, all of the artists participating in Fashion Week had a wide scope of outfits to find inspiration from. After much internal debate, I personally chose a look from Diane von Furstenberg's Fall 2015 RTW Runway to focus on today!



I absolutely adore how this design turned out, but the process wasn’t all fun and games. Out of all of the prompts this week I definitely had the most trouble with this one and I’m not sure why. I spent hours upon hours scouring runways trying to find the perfect outfit and was just not having any luck. That’s not to say that I didn’t see anything at all that caught my attention; I did. There were many different outfits that fell into my “possibility” pile, but by the time I was finished searching through all the major fashion houses that I recognized none of the outfits that I had set aside seemed to stand out. Nothing seemed like it would have that “it” factor as a nail design.
Feeling uninspired and frustrated I resolved to go through the runways one more time, this time trying some designers whose names I either didn't recognize at all or didn't recognize the first time around. That's how I ended up on the Diane von Furstenberg runway; I hadn't recognized the name on my first run through and so had skipped over it. It felt like it was going to go much the same way as the previous runways until I came across the outfit




It was simple yet impactful; I had finally found my muse and I can't even tell you how happy I was about it!





I made my own sheer black polish for the ring finger (which took forever because I kept underestimating how much black was needed to tint the clear polish), and though I think I probably should have stopped at 2 coats instead of 3, I still think it looks pretty decent!

The majority of my time spend on this design was dedicated to the snakeskin on my pinky finger. Do you know how hard it is to paint realistic snakeskin? I watched a few tutorial videos on it but didn't think any of the techniques really fit what I was aiming for so I ended up just pulling up a ton of pictures of red snakeskin of Google and figuring out how to freehand the texture. I also decided to forego a topcoat for the snakeskin so that I could keep a bit of the bumpy feel from building up the polish. I still don't think I completely captured realistic snakeskin but it's definitely a start!





Hopefully you're not tired of my posting every day yet! There's one day left of fashion week so hold on just a little bit longer!
If everything goes according to plan I will definitely be ending this challenge with a bang! You should definitely look forward to it!


Products Used:
Cult - Laguna
Essie - Blanc
Essie - Dress to Kilt
Essie - Grow Stronger Base Coat
Essie - Licorice
Essie - Waltz
Sally Hansen - Diamonds and Rubies
Sally Hansen - InstaDry Top Coat (mixed with Licorice)
Seche Vite - Quick Dry Top Coat

xo,
Becca.

2 comments:

  1. Uhm I can tell you that you definitely HAVE succeeded in capturing a real snake skin look Becca! This design looks so awesome again, I love the inspiration outfit. I feel like the print from the dress looks even better as nail art than as a dress print! I really look forward to your last design :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Robin! I was kind of worried about the snake skin but I'm glad you think it turned out well!! <3

      Delete